■ VISIT ON OWN WITH NO RESERVATION - average time 45 min
Discover the Church of the Carthusian Fathers, the Chapel of the Frescoes, the three cloisters, the Chapter room, the Bugade, the gardens and the cells of a Carthusian Father and the Sacristan.
Digital devices, panels in seven languages and a visitor’s map in ten languages help visitors understand what they are seeing.
■ GUIDED TOUR - average time 1 hour and 15 min.
- All year long, book ahead - 04 90 15 24 24
- In July and August, every day at 11am and the week-end at 11am and 2:30pm, no reservation required.
- In June and September the week-end at 11am and 2:30pm, no reservation required.
■ GUIDED TOUR CHEMINS DE TRAVERSE - book ahead, average time 2h
Tours designed for small groups, off the beaten path at La Chartreuse, to explore other aspects of its past history and its current activity. Dates and subjects are available just weeks before the events.
- Cheminement #1 in the former cells of the Carthusian brothers to explore the social organisation of the monastery from the 14th to the 18th centuries, and the current use of these spaces by Centre National des écritures du spectacle (National Playwriting Centre.
- Cheminement #2 in the former Bakery – hostelry at La Chartreuse to see the reception rooms at the monastery from the 14th to the 18th centuries and the current use of these spaces by the National Playwriting Centre.
- Cheminement #3 in and around the monument on the subject of water at La Chartreuse based on the work Alix Audurier Cros, historian of gardens.
- Cheminement #4 in the gardens of the monks’ cells to explore the fruit trees once grown here, based on the work Alix Audurier Cros, historian of gardens.
- Cheminement #5 in the Saint-Jean cloister, and from the cardinalice palace to the library.
Dates and subjects are available just weeks before the events.
> Book on-line
■ GUIDED TOUR À LA TOMBÉE DE LA NUIT - book ahead, average time 1 hour and 15 min
La Chartreuse has to be seen at dusk, by the light of the setting sun, the rising moon and lanterns.
- Thursday July 30 and Thursday August 13, 2020
> Book on-line / +33 (0)4 32 74 32 74
■ TEMPORARY EXHIBITIONS
Temporary exhibits are displayed in different spaces in La Chartreuse. The entrance ticket to La Chartreuse entitles access to the exhibitions at no additional cost.
Exhibits are sometimes displayed in parts of the monument usually off-limits to the public. Specific mediation may be proposed.